The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman
Riverhead (05 Jan 2012)
Thanks to the generosity of the publisher, we are delighted to offer a copy of The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman to one lucky winner. Please carefully read the information about how to enter the contest below!!!
First, let me give you a little information.
ABOUT THE BOOK.
From the Publisher:
Lamont Williams is a paroled felon looking to turn his life around, working as a street sweeper at a large city hospital and searching for his estranged daughter. Adam Zignelik is a struggling, nontenured professor, paralyzed by looming failure, his life falling apart around him. He discovers a cache of recordings of previously unheard voices reaching out from a horrific past, voices that can both save his career and bring him back to the woman he loves. At the same time, Lamont forges an unlikely friendship with a dying man, who, having lived through those horrors, has a crucially important story to tell and to preserve. The worlds surrounding these two men, their families, their pasts, their potential futures, swirl in and out of history as the forces of the Holocaust, the American civil rights movement, Chicago unions, and New York City racial politics combine in a thrilling cross- generational literary symphony.
The acclaimed author of Seven Types of Ambiguity, Elliot Perlman weaves the narratives of Lamont and Adam-and their myriad connected friends, lovers, and families-into an ambitious, masterful depiction of the power that memory has over our lives.
Read Wendy's review.
The facts about the giveaway:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Elliot Perlman was born in Australia. He is the author of the short-story collection The Reasons I Won't Be Coming, which won the Betty Trask Award (UK) and the Fellowship of Australian Writers Book of the Year Award. He is also the author of two previous novels: Three Dollars (1998, and Seven Types of Ambiguity (2003) which was shortlisted for the 2004 Commonwealth Writers Prize (Best Book), the 2004 Queensland Premier's Literary Awards (Best Fiction Book), and 2004 The Miles Franklin Award.
HOW TO WIN A COPY
The facts about the giveaway:
- Contest is open from January 21, 2012 to January 29, 2012. A winner will be announced on January 30, 2012 here on the blog.
- This is an International contest (if the winner is from the US or Canada, the publisher will be sending you a copy of the book; if the winner is outside of the US or Canada, your book will come directly from us)
- To be eligible, you MUST be signed up as a participant in either the 2011 or the 2012 Chunkster Challenge. People who are signed up for BOTH the 2011 and the 2012 challenge will receive two entries in the contest. Please note, the 2011 challenge is now closed for new sign ups, so you must have signed up previously for that one. You still have time to sign up for the 2012 challenge - the giveaway is open until 5:00 pm (PST) on January 29th and as long as you sign up by then, you are entered.
- IF you have signed up through Mr. Linky, you do not need to do anything else - you are entered! PLEASE DO NOT leave an additional comment here!
- IF you do NOT have a blog and have signed up through comments, you MUST leave a comment on this post telling us you are signed up. If you are signed up for BOTH 2011 and 2012, please leave us TWO comments on this post. PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR EMAIL FOR US TO CONTACT YOU.
- If you have questions about eligibility or how to sign up, please use the commenter form here. DO NOT leave questions in the comments on this post!!
- Want an extra chance to win? Blog about this contest and leave a comment on this giveaway post with a link to your post about the contest.
- We will randomly draw ONE winner from the sign up links for 2011 and 2012 and from all comments on this post on January 29th and announce their name here on the blog. If you have contact information on your blog, or you have left us a comment with your email address (if you do NOT have a blog), we will also contact you via email. You will have five days to respond to us to claim the book. If we do not get a response within five days, we will draw another name.
- Please consider subscribing to our blog so that you will know if you have won!
FTC Disclosure: Book giveaways and featured book articles are NOT paid promos. Although this book for giveaway is supplied by the publisher, The Chunkster Challenge administrators have not accepted payment to host this giveaway or to feature this book.